Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pizza Sandwiches



Last night we made pizza sandwiches.  I named them pizza sandwiches simply as a way to get my kids to not turn their noses up at it.  My oldest daughter told me (on the way home to make them) that she made pizza sandwiches at camp one day (during edible art week) and they were 'nasty.'  I assured her they were not the same as the ones we were having at home.

This was inspired by some leftover marinara sauce from a pasta night last week.  I love Newman's Own Organic Marinara, it has almost a little kick to it.  The bread I used was artisan bread from The Fresh Market, I had them slice it for me.
Pizza Sandwiches
1 loaf of sliced multigrain artisan bread (not TOO crusty)
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 large fresh mozzarella ball, sliced 1/4" thick
Fresh basil leaves
1 fresh tomato, sliced
Spray some olive oil on a large nonstick frying pan and warm up to medium heat.  Meanwhile, spread a tablespoonful of marinara sauce on each slice of bread (for both sides of your sandwich).  Layer slices of mozzarella, tomato, and a couple of basil leaves, snipped on each sandwich.  Assemble and cook just like a grilled cheese sandwich.  Eat while warm.
____
By the way, the girls loved it!
VBS is going on this week, and I'm in charge of crafts for K-5th grades.  Fun stuff (and pure craziness, at times)!

1 comment: