Saturday, September 5, 2009

Scratch Made Apple Crisp...

I have kept this recipe over the years because it is sooooooo good. I bought some green apples from the local farmer's market and used them tonight. Granny Smith apples make the best dessert apples because they don't mush too easily and they're not too sweet once you add the sugar and other good stuff.

I got this recipe from Sunset magazine, don't remember the month or year, but I think the recipe is probably about 9 or 10 years old, based on when I remember making it and where we lived. It may be older, I just can't remember. LOL, mommy brain, my girls took some of my brain cells. Oh, and Sunset magazine, in case you didn't know, is a lot like Southern Living, but for people out west.

Back when I first started making this, I did all of the peeling and thin slicing by hand. Then about 7 or 8 years ago I bought the Pampered Chef Apple Peeler Corer Slicer. Even the hubby is willing to help with it now that I have a cool tool to do the hard work.

Los Rios Apple Crisp

8 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup regular rolled oats
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Vanilla ice cream

In a 2 qt casserole, mix apples with granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp flour and cinnamon. In a bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar, butter, and 3/4 cup flour. Rub with your fingers until butter pieces are no longer distinguishable. Stir in chopped pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over apples. Bake dessert in the middle of a 350 degree oven until apples are tender when pierced, and topping is browned, 45 min-1hr. Serve warm with ice cream!

Another reason to anticipate autumn, it's apple season!

No comments:

Post a Comment