Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sick Kid Soup

So what happens when you have a child that is sick with some sort of stomach bug? Well, naturally we all start with the BRAT diet, right? Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. But then what? It's not like you say, "Okay, kid, you passed the BRAT test, let's make hot dogs for lunch!" Ha ha.

I am not one to buy canned soups, although I have some in my pantry for emergency use. But I'm not a fan of them, typically because they're loaded with sodium and many just don't taste great. I make many types of soups homemade.

So back to the stomach bug... clear liquid diet. Yeah, chicken soup seems like an obvious choice, but I got to thinking some time ago that sometimes it's just not what you want, and same with your kids. So I made this very simple soup, appropriately called Sick Kid Soup, and have had ZERO complaints from the kids, and it's a good transition to eating something other than the BRAT foods. I like it because it's low in sodium, high in vitamins, and isn't too bland. And yes, I have eaten it myself, under similar circumstances.

I also freeze this in some Ziploc soup containers for future use so I'm not having to make a pot of soup every time a child encounters this type of ailment. I had one of those frozen soups come in handy tonight. And my label maker makes a nice label that simply says 'Sick Kid Soup'. That way I know exactly what to grab from the freezer when I need it.

Sick Kid Soup

1 box organic beef broth (or any beef broth you can find with low sodium will do)
1 cup organic veggie ABC pasta

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the pasta and boil until pasta is cooked. Use about 1/2 to 1 cup for a serving, freeze the rest for future use!

____________
Note: I found the ABC pasta [a while back] at The Fresh Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment