Thursday, June 25, 2009

Caprese Salad Skewers

I saw this in a publication some time back, and had to do it! It just looked so fun! It was really very simple. And it makes such a bold statement! I chose to put ours into a small glass hurricane for dinner tonight. If you're wondering how to pronounce caprese, click on this link (but don't forget to come back)!

This would be very easy if you needed some hors d'oeuvres for a large group of people. Find a large unique serving dish.

Another idea would be to do maybe 3 per person and do them in individual stemless wine glasses for a dinner party.

Trim your wooden skewers shorter, to the length desired, using hand held bush/flower trimming scissors, something that cuts through twigs easily. I trimmed mine just longer than halfway.

At this point I would like to give a big shout out to The Fresh Market! I grew up shopping there and was so glad when they finally opened up here in our area. I will always say it, silly as it may sound, it's not just a grocery store, it's an experience!

I picked up some teeny fresh mozzarella balls from the olive bar, some strawberry tomatoes (grape size would also work well), and fresh organic basil leaves. I already had at home the EVOO (olive oil) and balsamic vinegar.
I simply sliced the tomatoes and mozzarella balls and pierced them into the skewers, tore a couple of basil leaves into pieces and dropped them in, and poured the EVOO and balsamic over them.

It has such an amazing flavor, not overpowering at all. There's nothing like fresh mozzarella. Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I agree with you about The Fresh Market. Haven't been in quite a while...I think I'm due a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Fresh Market! I will have to make those soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! And an easy, classy hors d'oeuvre. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete