Monday, July 20, 2009

Free Music and a Picnic Dinner! I love summer!

One of my favorite things to do in the summer isn't going to the beach or the pool, but packing a picnic dinner and going to the Sunday In The Park and hearing great music. I think it's because I've always just loved music, and it's a great way to spend time with the family. Last night the band Asheville-based Uncle Mountain played, they were great!

Sometimes it's great to just pick up dinner somewhere, but other times I really love coming up with the ultimate picnic dinner! Fresh foods are at the top of my list, such as fruit salad. What better time of year, when most fruits are in season and you can get them fresh from the local farmers market.

Last night I chose things that we had as leftovers or staples from the pantry to create this salad, it turned out really good, so I thought I'd share. As I always say, modify this to suit you or your family best!
Picnic Salad

2 cups Spinach Leaves
3 ears leftover corn on the cob, cut off the cob
2/3 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chopped/pulled chicken breast
1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese
dressing of your choice (We chose Italian)

Serve with some whole grain artisan bread and fruit salad. Happy summer!

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! BTW: Let me know if you need anything before your surgery or after!!

    ReplyDelete