Sunday, January 10, 2010

Andes Mint Chocolate Frosting

On Christmas Eve I made a cake for Jesus's birthday, which we ate after naptime on Christmas day.  I did the entire thing from scratch.  For the icing I tried something new, and it was fabulous.  If you like milk chocolate, and you like mint chocolate, you'll love this icing.  I used it on yellow cake, but I bet this would also be to die for on a chocolate cake!

Do you like Andes mints?  I love them.  They make Andes Mint pieces for baking!  Check your local grocery store where the chocolate chips are.  I found them at Harris Teeter.  Here is the recipe, I hope you'll try this sometime!




Andes Mint Chocolate Frosting

1 bag of Andes Mint baking chips, divided
1 box confectioners' sugar
6 Tbsp milk
1/2 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

Mix together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and salt in the blender.  Place 2/3 of the bag of mint chocolate in a double boiler, and put water in the pot below and turn on high.  Melt the chocolate.  Add the blend from the mixing bowl to the double boiler and mix over the heat until smooth.  Return the new mixture to the mixing bowl and gradually beat in remaining sugar until it is the right consistency for smoothing.  Frost a cooled cake with the frosting and enjoy!  With the remaining pieces of Andes Mints, you can eat them or sprinkle them on top of the frosted cake!

More posts soon, I promise!  Enjoy your week!

3 comments:

  1. Wow... I loves those mint candies! They are my favorite from childhood! I never even thought to make an icing from them! Amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does this recipe work with just regular Andes mints? I bought regular Andes mints and was looking for a solution. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charla,
    I don't see why you couldn't work with the regular mints. The bags of baking chips are essentially the same thing, just broken up bits. The only downside to using the regular Andes mints is that you'd have to unwrap each one!

    ReplyDelete