Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Beans & Cornbread with a twist

I really loved this simple meal. I needed something that I could whip up quickly and didn't need to spend a whole lot of time standing over the stove. So, I decided to prepare this simple meatless meal. I think that the combination of the cornbread with the beans was necessary, and my husband agreed.

These were my original recipe ideas, feel free to vary as you see fit for your family. For the beans I used all organic ingredients except for the seasonings. Even with organics, this is definitely a budget meal. After our family of 4 ate, I froze more than six 2-cup containers full. Each 2-cup container is equivalent to a can of beans, so I can pull one out of the freezer whenever I need a "can."

One final note on the beans- don't be intimidated by the seasonings. This recipe makes a LOT of beans and they will NOT be spicy with the measurements listed. It just adds some flavor.

Kelly's Crock Pot Black Beans

1 bag dry black beans
1 32-oz box low sodium chicken stock
2 14-oz cans no salt added diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)

Soak the beans in a large stockpot filled with water overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a large crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until mixed. Turn crockpot on low for at least 8 hrs, longer if you have the time. Leave them alone until they're done cooking and tender. Serve!

Kelly's Sweet Cheddar Cornbread

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 can creamed corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Combine the mix with egg and milk until just blended, lumpy is okay. Add the creamed corn and cheddar cheese, mix until just blended. Put in a greased pie plate. Bake for 40 minutes. Allow at least 10-15 minutes to cool before serving.

1 comment: