Saturday, August 1, 2009

Save money by hemming your own pants and skirts!


In these economic times, it's important to find ways in your life to cut back, even if you're seemingly unaffected today. One way that I have learned to cut costs is to do my own professional hem on my work clothes. I have to wear business professional (suits, dress pants, etc.) to work, and was tired of spending money having the pants tailored. Most of the hemming can be done in front of the TV or watching the kids play.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd share a website that I used to learn how to hem. It is not difficult, and you don't even have to have a sewing machine or serger, just narrow the search so that it will meet your specific needs. I will give you two tips, from personal experience: 1. when you're doing the final hem stitch, remember to only "grab" 1-2 threads from the pant fabric, or else you'll see the thread through the front, and 2. don't pull the thread too hard, or else you'll pucker the fabric.

The first picture shows what can be done if you have a serger. This is not necessary to hem pants, but a nice to have!

Hope this can help you, or maybe spark an idea on how you can save money this year. Would love to hear how!

Finished hem:

1 comment:

  1. Hemming your own clothes is a long tradition in my family. I'm glad it's one I learned early!

    ReplyDelete